It’s Not Goodbye, It’s See you Later…..

Howdy folks! How’s you been? Hopefully better than myself (which I’ll get into in a few moments)!

The title of this entry is a bit misleading. I am in no way saying goodbye to you, my lovely loyal readers. It’s the last thing I said to my fellow trainee’s at the SEW Training Academy a few weeks ago.

What’s been going on? Let me fill in the blanks for you all…..

As you all know (you are indeed my loyal readers), I have some balance issues, the after effects of a long standing ear infection. Well on November 10 I attended an appointment at my local hospital to see an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. I had been waiting for this appointment for nearly five months, but that’s a complaint for another time.

So, the specialist (I can’t remember his name, but for argument’s sake I’ll call him Vince  😉 ) sat me down and told me what was going to happen. I was basically going to have a full body MOT (for my American fans, an MOT is what you give a car to make sure it is fit and ready to be driven on public roads), an MRI scan and a full check up. All in all it would last around two hours (in all actuality, it lasted two and a half). At the end, I would have a definitive answer and possible solutions to my problem.

So the MRI was first and I’ve got to say, it was a scary experience. You lay flat on your back while you pass through a tube that takes x-ray’s of your entire body. Now that wasn’t the scary, the scary part was listening to Cliff Richard through the headphones! It seems they were expecting an elderly gentleman that enjoyed Cliff’s dulcet tones!

After 35 minutes, my ear torture was finished. To say I was relieved would have been an understatement! A few moments later I was whisked off to have my full body medical. In my mind’s eye I was hoping for a young blonde nurse that would delicately help me through the medical……In reality I was treated to a large woman called Glenda, who despite her smile and genuine helping ways, was way too keen on seeing me in my gown.

A through medical exam was held, with myself holding my gown down while I was lunging and suchlike, and after 45 minutes it was over. Nurse Glenda, still trying to catch a sneaky peek*, left me to my own devices to get dressed and then led me to Vince’s waiting room.

Just a quick break in proceedings to shill some social media bits and bobs. I actually have a page on Facebook totally dedicated to this blog. It’s cunningly called “Diary Of A 30 Something Trainee Wrestler”, and you can find it at this link right here. I’d also like to plug mine and South East Wrestling social media too as I have your undivided attention.  Click the links, have a gander and if you’re feeling particularly nice, maybe gives us a like and a follow too 😉

South East Wrestling website –
South East Wrestling Facebook –
South East Wrestling Twitter –
My Facebook –
My Twitter –
I’ll now hand you back over to your regularly scheduled reading material…..

The next 30 minutes were spent reading the various reading materials in the waiting room. I perused various publications, varying from What Doctors And Nurses Really Get Up To and Clinical Hygiene Extra while waiting for my name to be called to see Vince and get told about my future, one way or another (I may have embellished the reading material there, but I really wish those titles existed, and yes I have checked, they don’t).

Eventually I was called back into the office and, just like a line from Eminem, my palms were sweaty.

I sat down in the chair and was greeted with the news that there was irreversible damage to my right ear drum, which was causing the balance problems. Knowing that I was training as a wrestler, it was in his honest opinion that I stop. The bouts of dizziness that happened after a simple task as a forward roll would eventually get longer. And with that, I would become a liability and danger in the ring, not only to myself but to my opponent (if I was ever lucky enough to have one), the referee, and if the action spilled outside, the audience too.

I had been preparing myself for this verdict for weeks now, but actually hearing the news from the professional…..well it was like a Ric Flair backhand chop to the chest times a thousand!

Now all this happened on November 10. I didn’t want to let the guys and girls at the Academy to know just yet, I needed time to process this information before telling one and all. So that’s what I did.

I left it a few days, mulled it over, got angry, got depressed, you know the usual gamut of human emotions when something you really love and care for has been snatched from your grasp by an evil man named Vince.

I eventually told Dan C over a quiet pint at a local pub on the Saturday, who was shocked. He quickly told me that all was not lost and there were still ways to stay involved in the Academy and SEW. I knew these options beforehand, and told Dan that I needed time away to get my head straight. To go to training on a Sunday morning and not even being able to get inside the ring and do something as simple as running the ropes (which I absolutely love doing, I feel like I’m the Ultimate Warrior when I’m running the ropes, probably looked like him when I’m all blown up after 45 seconds) would kill me at the moment.

In a more basic concept, it would be like seeing your ex that you were still hopelessly in love with….and their new partner together….dancing happily in the autumn leaves… slow motion….with a romantic song sung by Ellie Golding playing in the background = heart wrenching.


I needed some time away to get over this and told Dan this. So with myself not being able to go to training to tell the guys I did what all aspiring ex wrestling trainees would do……I cut a promo.

All what you read above, I condensed into a three minute video/promo and posted it on Academy group Facebook page. It was pretty difficult to put into words but I’m glad that I did. It certainly has helped me, especially seeing what others from the Academy said in response.

Which brings me to where I am right now. Why did it take so long to actually write (type if you’re a facetious kind of person. Don’t know what that is? Google it 😉 )?

This long form way of telling you is a lot harder than a quick video. The promo was the ripping of the band aid off in a quick way. This way is the slow tear of the band aid that grabs your hairs on the arm as it comes off – painful. Hence why the long wait, I needed a clear head to get this down. This is my third draft of this blog over a two week period, that’s how hard it’s been for me. Just couldn’t get my head around it in a literary way, but with a loving wife, family and friends behind me, they’ve battered me around the head and told me to stop being such a melodramatic fool and get it done! Cheers folks! 😉

So there we are, you’re all caught up. Eventually. Sorry for the delay.

How this all affects the blog and my time in the Academy/SEW, only time will tell. I have some ideas I want to run past officials there but not at the moment. Let’s enjoy Xmas and the New Year festivities, and then I’ll concentrate fully on those ideas and beg/plead my case 🙂

So for the time being I’ll sign off the exact same way I signed off to the folks at the Academy, and indeed the title of this blog……It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later x

*Nurse Glenda probably wasn’t trying to catch a sneaky peek, but in my mind, I’m irresistible and she definitely wanted to 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s